Tuesday, April 9, 2013


Casa Hogar Children's Home - April 8, 2013
I Really Should Be Here!

When I went to Casa Hogar with Margret last year I kept saying, and still believe that this is not my passion. I went because my wife was afraid to go without me. God has given me many passions for many things; this just wasn't one of them.
On that trip the one thing that really stuck out is how important this home is and that they have no way to tell their story. So I asked my friend Michael Ryan who owns a video production company Four-Thirds creative if he might be willing to go down here with me some time. I felt this was a very, very, long shot, but I did my part and I asked him. See he shoots fancy stuff like for Frito-lay, and Pier One, and I am guessing it would be a $20000 process for him to do this. He has a beautiful and brilliant wife who works with him, and my daughter says that their son Finn is the most beautiful baby in the whole world. Michael has a lot of responsibility and he is not too big on leaving the country, but he said he would go! Isn't that all that God asks from any of us, just to be willing to go? Don't tell Michael and Karen, but I LOVE these people.
So now we need an interpreter, to take a week of their life, go to a foreign country, and help us get this story on film. I have another friend, (hard to believe I know) who was just about as crazy as I was growing up. He was in a bike gang for a long time, but God has gotten ahold of him, so I asked him if he would go, he said yes. He was willing to go. He has never had a passport and we kinda got a late start but the day before we were to leave his passport came in, it was really looking like it might not happen, but God has been on this deal from the beginning. God has some amazing things in store for Phillip and it has been my honor to watch these things unfold! Don't tell Phillip, but I love this guy too.
I have come to understand that in my walk with God when he asks me to go, and I am willing to go there will be opposition, especially if something good is going to come from it. After a while I have come to expect it! It used to really freak me out, but not so much anymore. When we landed in Mexico the Federal police grabbed Phillip before we even got off of the plane ramp and detained him. After fifteen or twenty minutes we started looking up the numbers for the Methodist conference legal council in Mexico, or anyone else we could get to help us, it was pretty nerve racking. JJ Mainard went back over to them, which only a woman, a JJ Mainard woman could get away with, and they released him. In following God there will be trouble, but he laughs at these things.
Then last night I started having cold chills at about 10:30 and I remember seeing 2am and the whole time shaking like crazy. This morning I couldn't get out of bed, with a bad headache and fever. They called a Dr. who came to my room examined me and went back to the clinic to get medicine and came back to my room and gave me two shots and some prescriptions. She charged me $65 total for shots meds and all. There WILL be opposition!
The amazing and wonderful power of God constantly humbles me. I by myself am nothing, but if we didn't say yes and go how can Gods will be done? It is so hard to figure out our part in all of these things. How am I here! What is my part, and when do I shut up and let God do his thing. We are all called into a relationship with God, it manifests in many different ways and we never really know where it might lead. The main thing is that if we truly love God we should always be willing to say yes. Yes I will go. With all of the hurdles of this trip I KNOW that something huge will come from this trip and this video. Casa Hogar is an amazing place with some wonderful brothers in Christ and children of God who suffer like we can't understand. We have been given an opportunity to say yes and find a way to help these people. Let's do that!
The people of Acton United Methodist church are such an inspiration to me. You guys are amazing and wonderful beyond words. I want to thank you all for all that you do and how you love us. You were what made this trip possible. And don't tell anybody but I love every one of y'all too.  - Ben Fields

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Ben for the great message! Hope you are feeling better.
    Blessings to you all!
    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a blessing to read this blog and it so exciting what you are doing there. Yes, our God is so good.

    ReplyDelete